Saturday 4 October 2008

Edgar Degas Beach Scene painting

Edgar Degas Beach Scene paintingEdgar Degas Ballerina and Lady with a Fan paintingEdgar Degas At the Milliners painting
, a day’s hunting will put that all right.’
It was touching to see the faith which everybody put in the value of a day’s hunting. Lady Marchmain, who looked in on me during the morning, mocked herself for it with that delicate irony for which she was famous.
‘I’ve always detested hunting,’ she said, ‘because it seems to produce a particularly gross kind of caddishness in the nicest people. I don’t know what it is, but the moment they dress up and get on a horse they become like a lot of Prussians. And so boastful after it. The evenings I’ve sat at dinner appalled at seeing the men and women I know, transformed into half-awake, self-opinionated, monomaniac louts!...and yet, you know - it must be something derived from centuries ago - my heart is quite light today to think

No comments: