Friday 7 November 2008

Frederic Edwin Church Sunset painting

Frederic Edwin Church Sunset paintingTitian The Fall of Man paintingJohn William Godward Nu Sur La Plage painting
Gibreel soon came to think of it as the most insidiously menacing of all.
_I like things you do with me_.
_Tell her that_, the voice swooned, and rang off. Another day it returned with another jingle:
_I like butter, I like toast_,
_You're the one I love the most_.
_Give her that message, too; if you'd be so kind_. There was something demonic, Gibreel decided, something profoundly immoral about cloaking corruption in this greetings--card tum--ti-tum.
_Rosy apple, lemon tart_,
_Here's the name of my sweetheart_.
A ... l ... l ... Gibreel, in disgust and fear, banged down the receiver; and trembled. After that the versifier stopped calling for a while; but his was the voice Gibreel started waiting for, dreading its reappearance, having perhaps accepted, at some level deeper than consciousness, that this infernal, childlike evil was what would finish him off for good.
o o o

No comments: