Tuesday 21 October 2008

William Bouguereau the first kiss painting

William Bouguereau the first kiss paintingClaude Monet Water Lily Pond paintingClaude Monet The Water Lily Pond painting
the tenth and last cycle of the Etruscan race. A cycle is a period reckoned by the longest life: that is to say, a cycle does not close until the death of everyone who was alive at the festival celebrating the close of the previous cycle. A cycle averages a little over one hundred years. Well, this was the last cycle and it would end with the total disappearance of Etruscan as a spoken language. The prophecy was already as good as fulfilled because he had no successors in his priestly office, and the country-people now talked Latin even in the Home; so he was glad to help me to write my history, he said, as a mausoleum for the traditions of a once great race I started it in the second year of Tiberius's reign and I finished it twenty-one years later. I consider it my best work: certainly I worked hardest at it. So far as I know, there is no other book on the subject of the Etruscans at all and. they were a very interesting race indeed; so I think that historians of the future will be grateful to me.

No comments: